Roulette is a classic casino game that easy to learn and fun to play. It is based purely on chance and does not require any type of skill or knowledge to play. The game is so popular in both online and real-world casinos that the word ‘casino’ evokes images of a spinning roulette table.
Nowadays, casino lovers do not need to visit brick-and-mortar casinos to play roulette. Anyone can enjoy a game of roulette from home or on the go on a PC or mobile device. Online roulette offers more exciting variations of the game than you’d find in traditional casinos. In addition to European, French and American roulette, online casinos have multi-wheel, multi-player, mini table and progressive roulette.
If you’re new to online roulette and want to quickly understand the basics of the game, this article will provide you with the necessary information you need.
The history of Roulette
The earliest roots of roulette are shrouded in mystery. The most widely accepted theory explaining the origin of the game is that the game was accidentally invented by French physicist and mathematician Blaise Pascal in mid 17th century while trying to create a perpetual motion machine.
The actual game of roulette as we know it today was developed in the 1800s by French brothers Francois and Louis Blanc. The brothers introduced the black and red pockets numbered 1 to 36, the single green zero pocket, and roulette bets system.
From the 1800s up until the early 2000s, the only way to play roulette was to visit a brick-and-mortar casino. All that changed with the introduction of roulette in online casinos. Today, no matter where in the world you live, all you need to do is go online to enjoy this classic game.
Playing Online Roulette
If you’ve never played roulette before, don’t let the colours and numbers intimidate you. One of the reasons playing roulette online is so popular is because the rules are very easy to understand.
The objective of the game is to simply accurately predict in which numbered pocket the ball will rest when the wheel stops spinning. The game is played against the casino, players do not compete against each other.
The game typically consists of a roulette ball and a wheel with coloured pockets numbered 1-36 and a zero. American roulette has an additional pocket numbered ’00’. To start a game, players place wagers on their chosen colours and numbers. Once all bets have been placed, the dealer spins the roulette wheel in one direction while the roulette ball in rolled in the opposite direction. The ball eventually falls into one of the wheel’s pockets and if your bet was placed on the ball pocket, you win!
Roulette bets explained
There are various bets that can be placed during a game of roulette, some riskier than others. The two main types of bets are:
- Outside bets: These bets cover larger groups of numbers and have a better chance of winning. For this reason, payouts on Outside bets are significantly lower. The range of outside bets is Odd or Even, Red or Black and 1-18 or 19-36. Players new to roulette are recommended to stick with outside bets as they learn the game.
- Inside bets: This refers to wagers in the inner section of the roulette table. Inside bets are made on a single number, or two adjacent numbers. There are several variations of this bet which can be splitting a bet between three, four or six adjacent numbers. Inside bets always have bigger payouts but a fairly low chance of winning.
Online Roulette tips & strategy
- Study the game: You can either win big fewer times by making Inside bets or win small more frequently with Outside bets. Develop a practical and flexible strategy and understand the level of risk and reward before you start placing bets.
- Don’t depend on a single betting system: Experiment the different types of roulette betting systems, there are literally hundreds if you search online. What works for one player might not work for you.
- Practice, Practice, Practice: Start with free online games to gain experience and develop strategy. When you feel confident enough, you can start playing real money roulette.
- Don’t drink while playing: While the thought of a glass of whisky while playing might seem like a good idea, you should know that even a small amount of alcohol could your judgement and cost you your bankroll. Always play sober and clear headed.
- Bet only what you can afford to lose: Never forget this Golden Rule. Before every session of online roulette, set yourself a budget and choose a betting pattern that provides the best chance of seeing a return.